American’s spend over $190 billion each year on treating lower back pain. Wowza…
For an appetizer, here are some of the on-going impacts of back pain in America.
- Over $50 billion in treatment costs
- 15-20% have long-term back pain
- 3-4% temporarily disabled due to back pain
- 1% of workforce disabled permanently
- 2nd most common cause of missed work
- 3rd leading reason for surgery
- Among leading reason for hospital and doctor visits
As for the entree, your mattress and how you sleep is crucial to eliminating back pain.
- Sleeping is the time your body time uses to heal itself & recharge all the energy you used during the day.
- Having a mattress that supports you in the right places, while giving you the comfort you deserve every night is the fastest way to eliminating back issues.
Food for thought: how many time’s have you slept on a mattress and taken off the sheets to inspect how it looked on the outside? Probably never…
- You just know it feels good when you lay on it and how good you sleep.
- That’s why you see nicer hotels invest in good quality mattresses. Otherwise they would lose repeat customers.
- You deserve that same sleep every night. Don’t punish yourself or your back, just because a bed looks “cool”.
For dessert, we present you: support and comfort.
- Support comes from the core of the mattress, typically a sturdy foam layer or innersprings depending on the type of bed.
- A supportive mattress will have enough firmness to keep your spine aligned, meaning your heavier areas like hips and shoulders won’t sink too far into the bed.
- On the other hand, it shouldn’t be so firm that it forces hips and shoulders up at an awkward angle either.
- Comfort is pretty easy to identify, but how do you know if a mattress is providing adequate support? Essentially, your spine should maintain an even, natural posture (similar to good standing posture), with whichever sleep position you prefer.
We are all different and most of us have some weird sleep tendencies, but hey that’s just life. The right mattress for you is out there, you just have to find it.